Friday, August 29, 2014

Happy birthday to me


Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday, happy birthday.
Happy birthday to you.

Kenny sang me awake this morning, then stumbled off to the shower singing Happy Birthday to the dogs at his feet.

I lay there a few more minutes, blinking my eyes. Birthday. Ah, yes. Aug. 29. Friday - that is a bonus. Three-day weekend - bonus, bonus. 10 more minutes of sleep would be the perfect trifecta, but I had to rise and do my best to shine.

Let's see, the gang at the office sang to me. Olivia sang to me. And hands-down the best version was from my granddaughter who was talented enough to leave it on my voicemail. (Thank you, Ya-Ya.)
So lots of singing today. Thank you all who participated in my annual anthem.

Lots of notes on Facebook, too. It is fun to receive these little blurbs from past and present friends. Workmates from across our footprint sent emails. In addition to the ones from Edinburg, I received best wishes from Farmville, Lynchburg, Rustburg, Radford, Wytheville and Weston, WV. That was cool.

My Mom gave me a big hug and kiss today, but it has been four years since my Dad has wished me a Happy Birthday. I remember my last birthday with him. He helped me find the Cadillac CTS that I wanted so bad. Black with a moon roof. We found it in Lewisburg, WV. He bought me a Cadillac license plate holder and got choked up when he gave it to me, saying that he wanted me to think of him every time I saw it. I didn't know he was sick. Or that he would not make it to my next birthday.

Since then I have traded the Cadillac and the license plate holder broke. But not a day goes by that I do not think of my father. Today, especially.





No comments:

Post a Comment